27 May 2011

When I Grow Up, I Want to Be A Sea Turtle Researcher...


Today as I was finishing that last blog post and flipping through images on Marine Photobank, a family of three stopped by the office asking about our work with sea turtles. My supervisor was in the other room, so I jumped up to greet them and give them free stickers and postcards and tell them about the leatherback sea turtles off the California coast.

They were visiting from Martha's Vineyard and had found a stranded, cold-stunned Kemp's ridley sea turtle last year on the island. After recovering at facilities at the New England Aquarium and University of New England, the family had the pleasure of releasing it back into the wild from Cape Cod. How awesome! The little girl was adorable—very hyperactive, and loved talking about "her turtle." I wanted to pick her up and squeeze her she was so adorable. As they were preparing to leave I thanked the little girl for helping us save the sea turtles. "Someday, I want to be a sea turtle researcher," she told me.

Me too.


No comments:

Post a Comment